By temperature-controlling an otherwise very stable resistor, a performance close to the very best available in the world can be achieved at a surprisingly low price. The resistor itself is oil-filled and hermetically sealed.
The function of hermetic sealing is to eliminate moisture and oxygen, both of which play roles in the long-term degradation of unsealed resistors. A further enhancement in both short and long term stability is
achieved by oil-filling. The oil also acts as a thermal conductor, allowing the device to accept short periods of
overload without degradation.
With accuracies of ±0.005%, a resistance range from 5Ω to 3.3 MΩ, and long term drift of less
than 5ppm, these devices are virtually secondary standards that can be kept in a laboratory as references to
calibrate other devices.
The Resistor is held in a temperature-controlled environment heated to 30±0.1°C. Other temperatures are available by special order. The heater requires 2 watts at 5V, which can be supplied by a battery or an unregulated DC supply. In an ambient environment of 20°C, the Resistor's heater will typically warm up in 30 minutes, and a LED shows when the temperature has been reached. A test pocket is provided so that the resistors' temperature can be monitored if required.
0.1 ppm/month or better stability can be expected.
We can supply the value you choose, ±0.1% between a minimum of 5Ω and a maximum of 3.3 megaΩ.
However, we bulk buy and keep in stock the following standard values: 10W, 25W, 100W, 1000W, and 10,000W.
For the highest quality traceability, we recommend that the 456 be UKAS Certified. We can offer the 2 Sigma Uncertainties shown in the table.
- Nominal Temperature Coefficient of Resistance: +0.02ppm/°C (with temperature control on)18°C to 25°C
- Power Rating: 0.5 watt at +25°C
- Resistance Tolerance (Initial Resistance Accuracy): ±0.005%
- Resistance Range: 5Ω to 3.3 MΩ
- Current Noise: <0.010V (RMS) / Volt of Applied Voltage
- Thermal EMF: 0.1V/°C Max; 0.05V/°C Typical
- The most precise and stable resistors available
- Impervious to harmful environments - oil filled